/Colin O’Brady Completes Crossing of Antarctica With Final 32-Hour Push

Colin O’Brady Completes Crossing of Antarctica With Final 32-Hour Push

The last miles of an almost two-month race throughout Antarctica — a lonely effort marked by lengthy days, quick nights and beautiful endurance — ended Wednesday with a dash to the end.

In an effort that would go down as one of the good feats in polar historical past, the American Colin O’Brady, 33, coated the ultimate 77.54 miles of his 921-mile journey throughout Antarctica in a single final 32-hour burst throughout which, with out sleeping a wink, he turned the primary individual ever to traverse Antarctica from coast to coast solo, unsupported and unaided by wind.

O’Brady’s transcontinental feat was outstanding sufficient, however to finish the ultimate 77.54 miles in a single shot — primarily tacking an extremely marathon onto the 53rd day of an already unprecedented journey — set a fair greater bar for anybody who tries to surpass it. In the almost two months racing on his personal, O’Brady took just one half-day off: On Nov. 29, he misplaced a pores and skin from his ski and was compelled to arrange camp early, reglue his pores and skin and lick his wounds.

O’Brady’s culminating effort joined some of probably the most outstanding feats in polar historical past, together with expeditions led by Norway’s Roald Amundsen and by Robert Falcon Scott of England, who battled Amundsen to develop into the primary to succeed in the magnetic South Pole. There was additionally Borge Ousland’s magnificent traverse in 1996-97, when he turned the primary to cross the continent alone and unsupported.

He said he did not share this notion with Jenna Besaw, his wife and expedition manager. What she and his mother, Eileen Brady, a close adviser to O’Brady and Besaw throughout the expedition, hoped for was a 16-hour, 40-mile day on Christmas.

For most of the journey, O’Brady stopped at around 8 p.m. after 12 full hours of trekking. For the past two weeks, though, he kept moving until at least 9 p.m. But on Christmas night, the clock ticked past 11 p.m. with no word from O’Brady.

He had glided beyond the 40-mile mark by then, easily the biggest day of his expedition, and it seemed to all observers that he would pack it in shortly. But he didn’t. He kept going.

To some following his progress, his decision was unnerving. Under intense stress, the line between lucidity and madness can be fuzzy, and especially so for someone who has been alone for almost two months, trekking miles each day, while doing battle with raging winds, unseasonal snowfall, whiteout visibility and polar temperatures.

Could someone in that situation, exhausted and emaciated, be trusted to make sound choices?

“I can feel myself in a deep fatigue state,” O’Brady said when reached by satellite phone on Dec. 22. “When I was crossing Greenland” — a journey he undertook this summer to prepare for this expedition — “I kind of let my guard down on my last night, and I fell into a crevasse that could have easily killed me. I want to be done badly, but at the same time, it’s about executing all the little things and not make any stupid mistakes at the end.”

At around 1:30 a.m. Chilean time, O’Brady finally called to check in with Besaw. O’Brady’s mother was also on that call, along with his stepfather. They peppered him with questions, testing his lucidity: Had he consumed enough calories? Was he stopping to boil more water? Was he refueling properly?

What they also tried to determine, Besaw said, was whether O’Brady could describe what he had been through during the day, and if he understood what was to come and what it would require to make it to the end.

“We had an open and honest and smart conversation with him,” Besaw said, “and he totally delivered.”

Source link Nytimes.com

Original Source